Vicon is launching a new flagship camera range, which it says delivers the world’s “highest quality motion capture system”.
The new Valkyrie range is designed to work with the company’s VFX software solution, Shōgun.
The range includes a 26-megapixel (MP) model and a high-speed capture mode at up to 2,000 Frames Per Second (FPS).
According to the company, when the cameras are combined with its new bespoke varifocal lens, they deliver a “greater fidelity in human motion capture and unlock a previously unmatched capture quality”.
The Valkyrie range includes:
VK26 – the flagship model with a 26MP resolution and native 150FPS
- Ideal for highly demanding applications including full body performance capture, virtual production and In-Camera VFX (ICVFX) for AAA films and games
- Provides robust tracking of people and cameras in large spaces and challenging environments
- Capable of capturing the most realistic characters and motion, including complex details such as high-definition fingers or large groups, reducing costs in post-production
VK16 – offering the highest frame rate per megapixel, at 16MP with a native 300FPS
- Supports ICVFX to track cameras in small or medium volumes
- Able to capture high-speed character and prop motion
VK8 – delivers both the highest native frame rate of 500FPS and the best cost per megapixel at 8MP
- Offers an accessible way for indie film and games studios to tap into motion capture and Vicon’s highly accurate data within a budget
VKX – strobeless camera featuring 7MP resolution and native 380FPS
- The most accessible entry point for small-scale ICVFX
Imogen Moorhouse, CEO of Vicon, said: “Filmmakers rapidly adopting virtual production techniques and ICVFX are at the cutting edge of the use of motion capture. With Valkyrie we will support the growing needs and demands of the VFX industry with the most advanced motion capture systems ever seen.
“With every design decision we’ve taken we have focused on empowering the global community of motion capture users to take their work to the next level. With Valkyrie, our customers are going to play a massive role in driving forward a new era of motion capture innovation and exploration.”