The SRT Alliance has announced that the SRT streaming protocol is being added to Open Broadcaster Software’s OBS Studio, a free, open source software for video recording and live streaming.
SRT is an open source protocol developed by Haivision that allows broadcasters and streamers to deliver high-quality, low-latency streams across the public internet.
OBS Studio allows users to capture video from a variety of sources and composite them into professional productions. It is used for broadcasting to platforms including Twitch, YouTube, Mixer and Facebook.
SRT has also been integrated within the following open source initiatives:
- VideoLAN’s VLC multimedia player, encoder and streamer
- GStreamer multimedia framework
- FFmpeg cross-platform solution to record, convert and stream audio and video
- Libav open source audio and video processing tools
- Wireshark network protocol analyser