Mobile and video technology research company InterDigital has been awarded funding to support five Horizon Europe 6G Flagship research projects.
The projects are:
- CENTRIC targets the development of radio access technologies towards fulfilling the ultimate vision of a 6G user-centric Artificial Intelligence (AI) native air interface.
- PREDICT-6G focuses on laying the foundations of an AI-powered Digital Twin framework to predict the behaviour of the end-to-end 6G network and using this framework to enhance the reliability and time sensitivity of the network.
- 6G-SHINE focuses on the design of short-range communication protocols that can meet the extreme bandwidth, latency and energy requirements emerging for 6G.
- 6G-XR investigates the development of an experimental research infrastructure to evaluate and validate the performance of key 6G candidate technologies, components, and architectures, with focus on enabling next-generation Extended Reality (XR) services.
- 6G-BRICKS focuses on setting up an experimental research facility to evaluate two key 6G candidate technologies, namely Reconfigurable Intelligent Surfaces (RIS) and cell-free massive multiple input multiple output (MIMO).
The research is part of a portfolio of 35 research, innovation, and trial projects curated by the EU’s Smart Networks and Services Joint Undertaking (SNS JU) to enable the evolution of 5G ecosystems and promote 6G research in Europe.
“We are honored to be awarded five Horizon Europe 6G flagship projects to help shape the 6G vision. Being selected for each of these unique projects will enable us to leverage our research heritage and expertise that will shape 6G development in Europe through the future,” said InterDigital’s chief technology officer Rajesh Pankaj. “A competitive research environment helps drive our industry forward by pushing the limits of what is possible in the wireless technology landscape.”