Global SVoD subscriptions will reach 1.75 billion by 2027, Digital TV Research has found.
Over the next five years, the number of SVoD subscribers is expected to rise by 550 million. The report added that China and the US will together account for 48 per cent of the world’s total by 2027.
Digital TV Research also forecast that three US-based platforms will control half the world’s SVoD subscriptions by 2027: Netflix, Disney Plus and Amazon Prime Video.
The report explained:
- Netflix will add 60 million subscribers between 2021 and 2027
- Disney+ will overtake Netflix in subscription terms in 2028, adding 146 million subscribers between 2021 and 2027 to take its total to 276 million
- Approximately 106 million of Disney+ subscribers will be in the 13 Asian countries under the Hotstar brand in 2027
- HBO Max will add 65 million subscribers to total 90 million in 2027
- Paramount+ (including SkyShowtime) will increase by 55 million subscribers to reach 88 million by 2027
“China and the US had a similar number of gross subscriptions by end-2021,” said Simon Murray, principal analyst at Digital TV Research. “Due to government pressure, China’s growth is decelerating, with 374 million subscriptions by 2027. The US will continue to grow, with 456 million subscriptions expected by 2027.”