Luther was the most popular programme on iPlayer in January according to the BBC’s rankings, with the first four episodes of the new series taking the top four spots for the month.
Dramas make up the entirety of the month’s top 20 programmes, with Silent Witness, Les Misérables and EastEnders contributing to iPlayer’s monthly total of 356 million requests.
Dan McGolpin, BBC controller of programming, said: “It’s been a very good start to 2019 on BBC iPlayer with new drama in particular drawing large audiences in January. Viewers were delighted to see the return of Luther, Silent Witness and Call the Midwife and thrilled to see Andrew Davies’ brand new adaptation of Les Misérables.”
iPlayer’s 10 most popular episodes in January were:
- Luther (series 5, episode 1)
- Luther (series 5, episode 2)
- Luther (series 5, episode 3)
- Luther (series 5, episode 4)
- Silent Witness (series 2, Two Spirits, Part 1)
- EastEnders (1st January)
- Silent Witness (series 2, Two Spirits, Part 2)
- Les Misérables (series 1, episode 1)
- EastEnders (4th January)
- EastEnders (3rd January, part 2)
Be sure to read TVBEurope‘s interview with the DoP on the latest series of Luther.