Barking and Dagenham Council has announced it has appointed Pacifica Ventures, in partnership with Media Content Capital, as the preferred builder and operator of the new Dagenham East film and media complex.
The site will include 12 new sound stages – covering some 264,000 sq ft as well as:
- workshops and warehouses for lighting and grip operations, and at least 95,000 sq ft of production office space
- an extensive post-production, visual effects and media technology complex
- specially rigged stages for job training programmes with local educational institutions
- multi-format large-screen theatre auditorium
- a major event centre and large screen auditorium including VR and immersive 3D attractions with studio tours
Announcing the plans, Darren Rodwell, the leader of Barking and Dagenham Council, said: "In the face of fierce competition, Pacifica Ventures - MCC emerged as the clear winner based on their track record and commitment to making the film and television studios a cultural and community asset for the borough, for London and for Britain’s film industry.
“The complex will be an exciting new visitor destination too - an east end epic - that will create thousands of quality jobs and educational opportunities in a huge range of disciplines.
"I am confident that it will make Barking and Dagenham more famous for films than Fords," said Rodwell.