Please note: You may have received an erroneous email from us on Wednesday 18th March about NAB. As it stands, there has been no change in the show’s status. Gremlins got into the works as we were announcing the cancellation of Eurovision.
NAB President Gordon Smith has announced this year’s show in Las Vegas has been called off due to coronavirus.
In a statement, Smith said the organisation had taken the decision not to proceed with next month’s show and is “considering a number of potential alternatives to create the best possible experience for our community.”
He added he was grateful to the NAB Show community “for engaging with us as we grappled with the rapidly-evolving situation.”
- NAB cancellation statement in full
- Emmy Awards postpones NAB event
- FA considers scrapping 3pm broadcast blackout
While no details of a possible change of date have been confirmed, Smith said NAB is still weighing the best potential path forward.
“We are committed to exploring all possible alternatives so that we can provide a productive setting where the industry can engage with the latest technology, hear from industry thought leaders and make the game-changing connections that drive our industry forward,” Smith added.
Vendors had been announcing their withdrawals from the show, including Avid, Red Bee, EVS and the annual Technology and Engineering Emmy Awards dinner.
Meanwhile the Las Vegas Review-Journal reported attendees are being offered a full-refund on their registration fees or can use the credit towards next year’s show. It’s unclear if exhibitors were also able to receive a refund.
A NAB spokesperson told the newspaper the organisation “will take a financial hit as a result of today’s decision” but declined to offer more details.