2018 will be the year when OTT players including Amazon and Facebook turn sporting events into the next content battleground according to Juniper Research.
The company predicts OTT platforms will bid for (and win) key packages in major rights auctions, including those for football’s English Premier League.
Juniper suggests that Amazon is likely to be the biggest winner as it would gain revenues from new Amazon Prime customers joining mainly for the football, but additionally revenues derived from retail sales by those customers via the Prime channel. Juniper says this would significantly reduce the number of new customers Amazon would require to cover the costs of a rights package.
Juniper Research's top 10 tech trend predictions for 2018 are:
1. Amazon and Facebook lead OTT bids for major sporting rights
2. Apple, Facebook, Google bring social payments to the masses
3. AI and blockchain to power numerous fintech and insurance solutions
4. Edge computing to fast track the IoT
5. Facial recognition applications surge
6. The rise of robo-advisors and app-based investments
7. Machine learning coming to verify your identity
8. Chinese cards and wallets achieve scale in western markets
9. Smart toys educating the masses
10. Wireless charging market moves up a gear