BT Sport and Samsung have partnered on the first live 8K public sports broadcast in the UK.
The two companies collaborated to deliver the UEFA Champions League match between Arsenal and Olympiakos from the Emirates Stadium using a bespoke BT Sport 8K outside broadcast set up, delivered to Samsung QLED 8K TVs.
Additional partners who supported the live 8K trial include:
- Fujinon (8K lenses (HP7.5×8.5 & HP11x22.5)
- Socionext (s8-c21 Quad HDMI 2.0 to HDMI 2.1a converter)
- BlackMagic Design (Quad 12GB SDI to HDMI Converter)
- Leader (Leader 8K LV5900 Waveform Monitor)
- Beamr (Beamr 5 8K HEVC Encoder)
- Telegenic (BT Sport OB Partner)
- Timeline TV (BT Sport OB Partner)
- Sony Professional Solutions Europe (UHC-8300 8K Camera System, PWS-4500 Production Servers, HDRC-4000 HDR Production Converter Units, and BVM-HX310 4K TRIMASTER HX Professional Master Monitors)
Jamie Hindhaugh, chief operating officer, BT Sport, said: “BT Sport has a rich history of leading the industry with broadcast innovation to provide our customers the best viewing experience in the UK. Whether it’s last season’s launch of the world’s first regular high dynamic range service, BT Sport Ultimate, or, our world-leading remote production activity we’re constantly working to provide the best possible experience. The broadcast in partnership with Samsung continues BT’s mission to take our viewers to the heart of sport and serve them the ultimate viewing experience.”
Last year BT Sport demonstrated its 8K capabilities, delivering an hour-long, live broadcast in 8K to its stand at IBC, showcasing the Gallagher Premiership Rugby 7s tournament.