As yet another global sporting event kicks, TVBEurope launches a series of features showcasing some of the technology being employed to bring the beautiful game to the screen.
What is your company’s role?
Telestream has supplied equipment and services to host broadcasters and rights holders in almost every country. Although some critical production equipment will be on site, the majority of what we have supplied will be operated at various broadcasters’ base operation centres, or in cloud computing.
How many people will be involved in the operation – remote vs on site
All of our technical support staff will be working remotely. Our technology has been well-proven in recent international events and the customers trust that the equipment can be maintained remotely if any problems arise.
What technology are you deploying on the project?
On site equipment:
- SPG8000A sync generators in trucks and studios, to maintain system timing.
- PRISM waveform/signal monitors in control rooms, trucks and MCRs, for technical and creative quality control.
- Vantage media processing systems will be used on site to provide file workflows, such as processing ENG camera files into the main production and editing systems. Processing will include transcoding, frame rate conversion and HDR to SDR conversion.
Remote or in the cloud:
- Various cloud-based media processing services will be used by some customers for transcoding and preparation of VoD content.
- Vantage workflow systems will be used for content ingest, transcoding and frame rate conversion of content, especially for North American markets.
Is any of it new?
All of the products and services have been used to support major sports events in the last few years. There are always some new features, but most of what we have supplied is tried and trusted technology.
What are the stand-out USPs of your company’s role?
As a result of nearly 25 years of development behind the Telestream Media Framework, customers know that content processed on site, at base, or in the cloud will be processed efficiently, reliably and will have equally high quality. The framework underpins the media processing provided by almost every Telestream product or service including the Vantage Media Processing Platform.
Adapting our products to support remote and cloud-based production tech has enabled several major customers to massively reduce their on-site staff levels- and carbon footprints, without impacting the quality of their coverage.