As bandwidth demand skyrockets, economies of scale will become the primary competitive advantage explains Kevin McCarthy, VP of Market Development, Newtec
The global VSAT market has traditionally consisted of specialised service providers, each focused on specific vertical markets and regions. Until now, specialisation and customer intimacy have been the key differentiators for most vendors.
However, as the industry consolidates and bandwidth demand skyrockets, economies of scale will become the primary competitive advantage. In addition, with the advent of High Throughput Satellites (HTS), satellite operators will be compelled to start offering managed services (in Mbps) across multiple spot beams and vertical markets.
Supporting a wide range of applications, while maximising economies of scale, requires a flexible, efficient and scalable multiservice VSAT platform, with five key characteristics:
1. Shared Outbound Carriers: Support for wideband carriers shared across multiple markets.
2. Wide Range of Modems: Modems designed to meet diverse technical requirements and price points.
3. Multiple Return Technologies: Multiple return technologies optimised for various traffic patterns and data rates.
4. Rich APIs: Application programming interfaces to allow automation and customisation.
5. Market-Specifics: A feature set supporting dedicated markets via one platform (like mobility, cellular backhaul, broadcast and government).
Newtec’s unique Dialog multiservice platform offers these key enablers and supports an unparalleled range of applications. Everything from business to consumer to high-end cellular backhaul and mobility can be supported on this single platform.
It is key to offer a range of modems that meet diverse technical requirements and price points. At Newtec, we provide:
• For the lower-end, the Newtec MDM2000 line of modems (like the Newtec MDM2200 IP Satellite Modem).
• For the mid-range enterprise market, the MDM3000 series of modems, coupled with Newtec’s patented Mx-DMA return technology (Cross Dimensional Multiple Access), provides the perfect balance of cost and performance.
• Our MDM6000 was the first modem on the market to support the new DVB-S2X standard. It incorporates Newtec’s Bandwidth Cancellation (BWC) technology that allows two carriers to be transmitted in an overlay fashion, providing record-breaking spectral efficiencies.
In order to address the high-end backhaul and mobility markets, we are developing next-generation Newtec Dialog modems that will offer industry-leading performance and efficiency. Supporting the latest DVB-S2X waveform, wideband carriers and unprecedented throughput, Newtec Dialog will maximise the capabilities of upcoming HTS satellites.
From a commercial perspective, it is key to offer a flexible licensing model and a modular hub architecture, that enables service providers and satellite operators to start small and ‘pay-as-they grow’. With a simple upgrade path, Newtec customers can add outbound carriers, return technologies and throughput capabilities to efficiently address new opportunities and markets.
The VSAT industry is undergoing a radical transformation, both from a commercial and technical perspective. The next generation of service providers will be required to address an unprecedented range of applications while driving massive economies of scale. Having the right multiservice platform will be the key to success in this new VSAT paradigm.