SMPTE has announced the list of honourees who will be feted at the organisation’s awards gala in November.
As well as awards celebrating individual honourees, the event also welcomes 17 new SMPTE Fellows, including the DTG’s Richard Lindsay-Davies and Deluxe’s Richard Welsh. This honour is conferred on individuals who have, through their proficiency and contributions to the motion-picture, television, or related industries, attained an outstanding rank among engineers or executives in media and entertainment.
SMPTE will present the 2021 Progress Medal, its most prestigious award, to Wendy Aylsworth and Girish Balakrishnan. The medal recognises outstanding technical contributions to the progress of the engineering phases of the motion-picture, television or motion-imaging industries.
Robert A. Dischert (1929-1991) will be recognised posthumously with the Camera Origination and Imaging Medal, which celebrates significant technical achievement related to inventions or advances in imaging technology, including sensors and capture devices.
Youngkwon Lim will receive the David Sarnoff Medal, sponsored by SRI International. The medal recognises outstanding contributions to the development of new techniques or equipment that have improved the engineering phases of television technology, including large-venue presentations.
Other honourees include:
- Huw Davies, Excellence in Education Medal, sponsored by William C. Miller and Ellen Sontag-Miller
- Nick Wells, Digital Processing Medal
- Linda Tadic, the James A. Lindner Archival Technology Media, sponsored by James A. Lindner
- Moxion, the Workflow Systems Medal, sponsored by Leon D. Silverman
- Harald Brendel, the Natalie M and Herbert T. Kalmus Medal, recognising outstanding contributions to the highest standards of quality and innovation in motion-picture production, postproduction and distribution service
- Anustup Choudhry, Jaclyn Pytlarz and Scott Daly, the Journal Award presented to authors of the most outstanding paper originally published in the SMPTE Motion Imaging Journal
- Ava DuVernay, Anne Jacobsen, Franklin Leonard, Kohji Mitani and Jayshree Ullal, recognised with the Presidential Proclamation
- Pierre-Anthony Lemieux, the Excellence in Standards Award
- Hideki Ohtaka, Thomas Heritage and John Mailhot, standards participants
- Tony Meerakker, François Bourdua, and Daniel Guévi, the Citation for Outstanding Service to the Society
- Aaron DeMolder, the Student Paper Award
- SMPTE student member Monica Brighton, the Louis F. Wolf Jr. Memorial Scholarship
Among the other SMPTE Fellows who will be honoured are: Robert Brunelle. Dean C. Bullock, Tim Carroll, Andrew Cotton, Dagmar Driesnack, Joseph Goldstone, Sally Hattori, George H. Joblove, Wicky Man Hoi Law, Luann Linnebur, Jaclyn Pytlarz, David Reisner, David Ross, Yoshiaki Shishikui, and William Werner.
The SMPTE Awards Gala will take place virtually during the 2021 SMPTE Annual Technical Conference which runs from 9-18th November.