Quickplay has announced the acquisition of New Jersey based Roundbox, a technology provider for the optimisation of video and other data-intensive applications over mobile networks.
With Roundbox cloud-enabled solutions and software, Quickplay hopes to offer benefits to service providers, content owners and device manufacturers; delivering a range of new capabilities as well as optimised video and data delivery and spectrum utilisation.
For more than a decade, Quickplay has focussed on the enablement of VoD and Live TV, with a managed service offering that addresses over 700 million end subscribers, nearly 700 live channels and VoD content for customers such as AT&T U-Verse, Bell Canada, and Bloomberg. According to a Citrix 2014 Mobile Analytics Report, video now constitutes 52 per cent of mobile internet traffic.
With the integration of Roundbox’s client and server technology into the Quickplay managed video service, Quickplay aims to enable mobile network operators to monetise key LTE broadcast use cases, including:
– Live event streaming for in-venue, local, or regional coverage of live events with multiple streams and interactive experiences;
– Live TV streaming to enable OTT video services in the home and on the go;
– Periodic push services including news, stock updates, sports highlights, special interest and weather clips to mass audiences;
– Subscription broadcast music and radio services;
– Connected car services to provide in-car infotainment;
– Off-peak media delivery and mobile CDN services including application and O/S updates;
“We believe that we are on the cusp of an explosion in the growth of applications and services related to premium mobile video and smart connected devices,” said Wayne Purboo, CEO and co-founder of Quickplay. “To create a premium customer experience and facilitate new IoT services affordably will require innovative approaches to the delivery of data over mobile networks. Quickplay and Roundbox will be at the forefront of enabling this revolution in mobility”
“The IoT and LTE broadcast are catalyst technologies that will enable an array of new services for consumers and businesses,” added Jim Nelson, co-founder of Roundbox. “With Quickplay we are ideally positioned to help service providers and media companies to monetise their significant network and content investments.”